Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tin-Man or Ironman?

I went 40 miles on Saturday. It was pretty fun with the exception of a 30 minute segment during which it rained like a dog. I was a mess when I got home. It took me a little over 2:20:00. I went up the most wicked hill I've conquered yet. It was about 2 miles long and about as vertical as anything I'll ever want to do. After doing that hill though, it makes everything else I'm going up look like a speed bump.

Of course with a hill of that sort there is always an equivalent descent. I hit 39 mph on the way down and I'm not all that confident at high speeds yet so I was riding the brakes. I did break the speed limit in 2 or 3 locations however. The speed limit was 35 when I hit 39. I was also well over 20 mph in a few posted areas as well. I carry identification with me just in case. I bring my drivers license, my Visa, and a piece of paper that lists my name, address, my wife's name, her cell number and my blood type (in case I'm not able to tell them myself). :-)

I'm trying to convince my wife that it would be fun to go to Hawaii. For some reason she feels it would be a big chore. My 2nd great-grandfather served a mission there so besides the obvious attractions in Hawaii, I thought it would be fun to visit his old mission. I would really like to go during the first part of October. That is when they have the Ironman Triathlon. Jennifer is refusing to go, fearing that if I see it, I will be convinced I have to start training for it as well.

Would completing an Ironman be cool? Yes. The biking portion is 112 miles (a snap), the running portion is a marathon, 26.2 miles (trained for and ran one last year), the swimming portion however is over 3 miles and I am not a good swimmer. Putting all of these events back to back is another story. In order to be given the title "Ironman" you have to complete all 3 disciplines by midnight. I think that would be doable.

Swimming at 2 mph would mean 90 minutes in the water, followed by about 7 hours to complete the bike stage. Subtracting another 30 minutes for transitions, eating, and the possible flat repair, I would have about 7 hours to complete the marathon. It took me a little over 4 1/2 hours to complete my marathon last summer, so I think a brisk walk could get me over the finish line by midnight.

Don't tell Jennifer I've been breaking this down. ;-)

3 comments:

Steph said...

You are out of control Allan. Definitely makes me feel that my three miles a day is super wimpy. Perhaps I should catch the marathon, bug? I don't know if I have the time. Go for the Ironman though. That is really cool!

Allan Smith said...

Jennifer would equate your support of me doing the Ironman, to aiding and abetting a known fugitive. She likes the biking much better than the running though. She didn't like how badly I'd beat myself up on the 15-20 mile training runs each week.

Heather said...

Just the fact that you carry your blood type, etc...when you go biking makes me feel for Jennifer. I definitely see where she is coming from. But she obviously can't stop you, so I guess she might as well make the best of Hawaii. Maybe if you were doing the Ironman, Marshall and Erika would go again to help at the end of the race when your body gives out on you and you have to be hooked up to IV's and pumped full of stuff so that you don't drop dead. Sounds like a blast! Maybe you should do a mini-triathlon first and work your way up. I'm planning on doing the mini next year.