Friday, February 22, 2008

Continuous Improvement (Implementing Lean)

My running is going well. I'm not as blazingly fast as my friend Joe yet. Last week I did three 3 milers during the week and a 10 miler on Saturday. This week I've been in Dallas to help at one of our sites there. I've done two 3 mile runs on the hotel treadmill. I'm the scoutmaster and we're going on our winter campout tonight and tomorrow. It is a step-back week for me so my long run is only 7 miles. I may have to shorten that since I won't be getting home until about 4pm tomorrow, and I'll be very tired after sleeping in the snow.

Over the last 4 weeks my minutes/mile on my 3 mile runs has been getting progressively better. My long runs are just done at a comfortable pace so I don't kill myself or get injured but they are improving as well. It is very surprising to me how this is going.

Last 5 weeks of "Long Runs"

6 Miler: 64 min (10:40/mi)
7 Miler: 75 min (10:43/mi)
5 Miler: Can't remember
9 Miler: 87 min (9:40/mi)
10 Miler: 94 min (9:24/mi) (1st 5 miles were at a 9 minute pace, then I had to slow a bit.)
I've ordered some GU and I think that may help with the 2nd half of my long runs.

My last 4 week averages for my 3 mile runs:

9:26/mi
9:04/mi
8:42/mi
8:20/mi

It still hurts to push myself, but it's now my legs that protest rather than my lungs. My weight is much more under control at this point. In beginning this process I changed my diet. I eat a smoothie every morning made of 4 frozen strawberries, 1/2 of a frozen banana, a whole orange, 4 ice cubes and some water. It's a tasty treat. I'm also doing the Subway:Jared thing as well, except I go to Port-O-Subs which is a Nevada chain. I get a small ham, no cheese, no mayo, olive, lettuce, tomato, pickle, peppers, and avocado. I think my stomach has shrunk, because this small sandwich fills me up now.

I started at about 183 lbs. and I'm currently at about 168-9. After my 10 miler last weekend I was at 166.6 but most of that was water loss. Now that I'm 14 lbs. down from my starting weight, I'll be focusing less on the weight loss and more on my running speed.

1 comment:

enickel said...

Wow, you are a skinny little thing now. That must be better on your knees though. Keep up the good work!