Sunday, January 6, 2008

Some vacation...

I spent the week over New Year's Day in Utah at my brother's house. I had decided before I went that I would try and work out at least twice. When we got there, the ground was a foot deep in snow and running would have been impossible. On Wed we went to my brother's athletic club and played some very light basketball, but I followed it up with 1.5 miles on the treadmill. On Thursday I used his eliptical and went for 45 minutes. I was tired but on Friday did the same thing. I got my 3 workouts in, but none of them were actually running on the street.

Most of my family was together which included 4 of us 6 kids, my parents and about 15 of the grandkids. I ate like a cow all week, but was measurably better than I would have been a year ago. I think my stomach is a bit smaller than it was a few months ago, so I get filled up quicker, and I'm making better choices about what I put on my plate.

I assumed when I got home that I would be back up to 182 lbs, but I was 180.5, and by morning was 178.5 again. It's nice to have gone that week and not to have gained any weight. I can focus on dropping some more now that I'm back in control of my own fridge again.

My 18 week training schedule actually begins in one week, so I've got 7 days to drop a couple more pounds and get my knees a bit more accustomed to running. I'm not going to make any predictions on finishing times or even completion at this point. I want to move through this as sensibly as possible and not get ahead of myself in my training; although, how a person can talk of doing a Marathon, and do one sensibly is a bit of an oxymoron.

1 comment:

enickel said...

Congrats Allan! What a great goal to make. At least you will be in great shape at the end of all of this. You should get Christian out there running with you. Or at least following you on his scooter!

I missed all of you guys this Christmas.